Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Visitors

A favorite thing of mine while traveling is having friends and family come visit. Hint, hint everyone. The co-founder of the Centro de Idiomas, in Nicaragua, Dhyana, became a cherished friend of mine during that year. We bonded over our love of food, coffee, conversation, people and a commitment to bettering the world that we were born into. She is one of those people that I think about and am like, damn, she is so awesome. You know how we all have those idols or role models who do the things that really impress us? Or the things we would like to be doing ourselves? Dhyana is one of those people for me.

I emailed her in late May to say hi and see where she was, what she was up to and to fill her in on my adventures. I freaked out with joy when she wrote back to say that she was working in Peru this summer! I must of looked like a deer in the headlights of awesomeness at that moment. She is working for the Peruvian Ministry of Education and had time off towards the end of July. We planned to hang out then.

Dhyana came to Ollanta, which was wonderful because I was able to host and play tour guide, two of my favorite things to do. And sharing Ollanta, my everyday, mi familia aca and everything awesome about this place with her was great. She arrived a bit sick but my host family and I were able to dote on her. Insisting that she eat sopa de trigo and drink te de panti. Not tea made from panties, but from a little purple flower that is great for clearing up coughs and throat concerns.

We wandered around town, drank yummy coffee at El Albergue, made delicious brownies for my host family and the volunteers, and talked for hours and hours about everything. This might be, aside from her insight, intelligence and passion, the thing that I love most about Dhyana is that we can talk for hours upon hours and still have stuff to talk about the next day. Its phenomenal.

Getting updates about the Nicaraguan families I knew, our mutual friends, and Ocotal was great. It fed the fire that has been growing in my belly to visit Nicaragua again soon. My fingers are crossed for within the next year.

I'd like to raise a glass to toast those people in our lives who move us to be better, to work towards our goals and who make us feel genuine in every way.

1 comment: